Monday 16 August 2010

Plot update

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on where we are with the Allotments. Currently Robert Horsburgh is looking for a Tractor and Rotavator to finish off the land...once that is done then we are free to allocate. If we can't get the tractor in, then we have 2 options, 1. - allocate the plots and let the individuals clear thier own, or 2. - Jointly Hire an industrial Rotavator for a weekend and a bunch of us keep it going for the 2 days, getting the most out of the hire....could cost between £50-£75 for the 2 days.

There's a fair bit of work needed to clear stones and I'm hoping to that we'll all contribute to that....date TBN

From the plot map that Rhona sketched and the measurements that Robert and Kev conducted, we should be able to have 12 plots of size 15m x 10m each. There are currently 17 people interested and I'm all for getting as many people on the land as possible, so if you could all reply to me stating whether you'd like a full plot (15m x 10m), a half plot (7.5m x 10m) or either/or, it would give me an idea of how many people I can fit in once the land is prepped...

There have been costs incurred, such as the ploughing, locks etc and although not much I'd expect that to be added to the final sum for hire of plots. At present I'm looking at a cost of £50-£55 for a full plot, and £25-£30 for a half plot. This should cover the annual rent and provide a little bit of revenue for future expenditure.

I'm not available from this Sunday through to Friday next week I'm away with work, but I will monitor my E mails. So I would appreciate a reply to the questions posed so that I can make the appropriate plans.

We have an exciting opportunity with this land and if it all goes according to plan and grants etc, we'll have Polytunnels, a Cabin, Toilet and community/school involvement...but first things first we need to prep the land and I'll be in touch about the rotavator situation soon.

Take care all and keep in touch
Regards
Carl



1 comment:

  1. I think I am meant to be sharing a whole plot with Kev (viz one half plot for me). That would also be the CC plot I think since Ann has had to pull out. I discussed a possible contribution of say £200 towards a polytunnel, and the CC weren't agin. We need our Treasurer to return though. I will probably need a bit more info on likely costs. David Shields also said that he would approach Barnsmuir to see if they had any they didn't want (possibly in need of some repair - I don't know who they are).

    On the rotavating, it would be great if we could get it done by tractor. However, I don't like option 2, because it is likely that you and Kev (and perhaps me and another) would end up doing all the work. It isn't just the principle of the thing - it would be symptomatic (if that's the right word) of the amount of effort that others are likely to put into the overall venture, never mind properly looking after their individual plot.

    I also wouldn't force yourself to accommodate absolutely every one on the waiting list. You, especially, merit a full plot, as do some others. If we don't have a waiting list after the allocation, then we would disappear off the radar as far as Fife Council was aware.

    Finally, on costs, I suggest that you go for your higher figures. There will always be other items to pay for.

    Really finally, would it be useful to also gauge how interested people may be in helping out on other projects such as the Co-op,
    Thomas Chalmers Memorial Garden, Beach and Coastal Path Clear-up (August 18th)?

    PS Just read an article on the use of seaweed in allotments. Have asked Elizabeth Riches if the Council can help out.

    ReplyDelete